This Michael Finnegan craft was inspired by my son’s love of the popular song.
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
Do you know the song Michael Finnegan? Here are the lyrics:
“There was an old man
Named Michael Finnegan
He had whiskers
On his chin-ne-gan
Along came the wind and blew them in again
Poor old Michael Finnegan
My son has been watching a lot of The Wiggles recently – here is their version:
One day he decided to make his own Michael Finnegan using a paper plate and some orange yarn. It was so cute!
I loved his version but it then inspired me to make a “working” version that would go with the song. I made a basic face on a paper plate, then added a fancy hat.
Using a craft knife I made small holes in the chin area, and threaded long pieces of orange yarn through. I found that a plastic needle was useful for this task!
I knotted both ends of each piece of yarn, then tied the ends into one big knot at the back of the plate.
This way the large knot could be pulled at the point in the song where the whiskers “blew in again”.
My son thought this was absolutely hilarious and performed the song regularly!
[bctt tweet=”Make this fun paper plate craft to go with the song Michael Finnegan! #kidscrafts”]
This post is part of the St Patrick’s Day Kids Activities Blog Hop hosted by Crafty Kids At Home. If you’d like to get some more Irish crafts and activities for kids then check these out:
- St Patrick’s Day Preschool Potion Play from Crafty Kids at Home
- Egg Carton Shamrock Craft from Play & Learn Everyday
- Rainbow Rainmaker from Mum in the Mad House
- Shamrock sun catcher craft from The Gingerbread House
- Rainbow Hearts Craft from Our Whimsical Days
- Shamrock Stones from Sunny Day Family
- Luck of the Irish Mickey Mouse Oreo Pops from Crafty Mama in ME
- Kids’ Kitchen: Over the Rainbow Cupcakes from Sugar, Spice & Glitter
- St Patrick’s Day Counting Worksheet from Larabee UK
- Pot of Gold Number Mats from The Kindergarten Connection
- St Patricks’s Day Playdough from Clares Little Tots
- Pot o’ Gold DIY Piggy Bank from Playground Parkbench
- Rainbow Duct Tape Bracelets from Teach Me Mommy