I gave my son a construction site bedroom makeover – he loved it!
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
Ever since we completed our All Things Construction Vehicle week as part of our transport series, F has become even more obsessed with everything to do with construction sites. As much as I love his woodland animals bedroom theme that he’s had since he was born, I thought it was about time for a change. Here’s how he had a construction site bedroom makeover.
Here are the “before” photos, taken a few months ago. Cute, but a teensy bit babyish now.
I removed the woodland-themed decorations and replaced them with construction themed ones including a new clock, two sets of construction site decals and a dump truck-shaped rug (F said “wowww, BIG dump truck!” when he first saw it!).
However, I had the most fun with the new wall art! The first thing we did was make some art together, using Learn Create Love‘s great printables. F painted a dump truck, cement truck, backhoe, and bulldozer.
I added some painters’ tape to the cement truck to get red and white stripes like the ones we see around here.
Then I framed them and hung them on the wall.
Next I really wanted a magnetic board for some construction themed magnets. I’d seen some magnetic paint which I thought was a great idea, but didn’t get good reviews. Next I thought I’d get some sheet metal, and some wooden trim to frame it. Then my very-sensible-husband suggested I just buy a magnetic board. Not so fun, but it actually looks pretty smart. I also added the Craft Stick Magnets to the board.
Another piece of artwork was a glow in the dark canvas. I bought a black canvas, and used Baumarkt font for the lettering (another font candidate was this fun SketchTools font but I couldn’t make it work for this project). I painted the yellow letters and also some construction vehicle clipart images with two coats of glow-in-the-dark paint. I then used a black marker to draw back in the details of the font. Sorry that you can’t see his name (for privacy reasons) but hopefully you get the idea.
Finally the last piece of artwork was one one that I made for him. I received a beginner’s quilling kit for my birthday some months ago, and *finally* got round to trying it out. I made two vehicles: a backhoe and a cement truck. I think there is room for improvement in the amount of detail but I don’t think it’s too bad for a first effort!
And if all that wasn’t enough – I also changed the curtain fabric from cute owls to cute diggers!
As you can tell *I* had a lot of fun planning out F’s new room – luckily he liked it too! 🙂
[bctt tweet=”Construction Site Bedroom Makeover”]