The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
For this month’s Book Club Play Date we are looking at Big Red Barn by Margaret Wise Brown.
I decided to make a game based around the animals in the book. We haven’t done any organised gross motor games recently, so I thought I’d make a ring toss game from paper plates! I didn’t think I could do all the animals from the book, so decided on just six. I wanted to make each ring represent an animal – adding an extra complication to the game to try and match it up to the right peg!
- Cow – Black spots painted onto a white plate (even though the cow in the book is brown – sorry!)
- Pig – Painted the plate pink, then added a pipe cleaner curly tail
- Rooster – Black and brown feathers, then felt details
- Mouse – Painted the plate brown, then added ears and tail
- Goose – Yellow felt beak and feet
- Sheep – cotton wool
Once he had completed the game, he started all over again! He wasn’t interested in standing a certain distance away – but we’ll work up to that!Farm Animal Ring Toss Game made from paper plates! Click To Tweet
If you would like more farm themed activities, then check out the other Book Club Play Date activity ideas from my co-hosts!
- Farm Theme Preschool Snack – Haystacks from Fun-A-Day
- Big Red Barn Book Craft from Sugar Aunts
- Big Red Barn Sensory Small World from Still Playing School